Police Frequently Asked Questions

What number do I call for Police?
911 ► For Police, Fire or Medical Emergencies
503.629.0111 ► For Non-Emergency/ Dispatch (Crimes Not Occurring Now)
503.691.4800 ► For Police Records or Support Services (Business Office)

Learn more about How 911 Works and obtain a list of Non-Emergency Numbers for Oregon.

How do I reach an Officer to file a police report?
The Tualatin Police Department uses the Washington County Consolidated Communications Agency (WCCCA) to dispatch on-duty Officers. The service is available 24 hours a day by calling 503.629.0111.

How can I get a copy of a police report?
The Police Services Unit provides copies of reports as required in accordance with the Oregon Public Records Law. Copies of reports may be requested by submitting a Records Request Form.

Are intersection safety camera tickets more expensive than a regular ticket?
No. Intersection safety camera tickets are the same cost as a ticket personally issued by an officer for failing to obey a traffic control device. This fee is currently set at $287-$400, depending on if an accident is the result of the violation or the violation takes place in a school zone. Learn more about intersection safety cameras or photo red light citations.

How do I find out if someone is in jail?
The Tualatin Police Department does not have a facility to hold prisoners. Persons arrested are booked at the Tualatin Police Department and either cited and released or transported to the Washington County Jail.

How do I inquire about lost or found property?
Please visit the Tualatin Police Department Lost and Found property page. We make every attempt to keep this page current as we obtain items.

How do I report an accident to Police?
In the case of an emergency always call 911. For a non-emergency such as damages found on your vehicle with no suspect information you can report it to the Non-Emergency/ Dispatch number at 503.629.0111. Typically to complete the report the Officer will need to see the vehicle damage.  You may be asked to bring the vehicle to the Tualatin Police Department if the accident occurred in Tualatin.

What if I hit a vehicle or property, and no one is around?
If you hit a vehicle no one is in, try to find the owner. If you cannot find the owner, leave a note that identifies you as the person who hit the unattended vehicle and how to contact you. By law, ORS 811.700(1)(B), you are required to write your name and address on the note and a brief description of what happened. If you damage property other than a motor vehicle, you also must try to find the owner or someone in charge to report the damage. Call the Non-Emergency/ Dispatch number at 503.629.0111 and an Officer can help determine the vehicle or property owner.

When do I have to report an accident to the DMV?
You must file an Accident and Insurance Report Form with DMV within 72 hours when:
1. Damage to the vehicle you were driving is over $1,500, or
2. Damage to any vehicle is over $1,500 and any vehicle is towed from the scene as a result of damages from the accident, or
3. Injury or death resulted from the accident, or
4. Damages to any property other than a vehicle involved in the accident are over $1,500.

You must fill out an Accident and Insurance Report and return it to the DMV even if a Police Officer writes a report. A Police Report does not replace the requirement to file an accident report with DMV. If not properly reported the DMV will suspend your license. Be sure to keep a copy of all reports for future reference.

How do I get an impounded vehicle released?
Releases for vehicles that have been impounded for DWS (Driving While Suspended), DUII (Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicants), Driving Uninsured or Operating a Vehicle without Driving Privileges can completed during regular business hours at the Tualatin Police Department.
All vehicle releases require:

  • Vehicle proof of ownership
  • Proof of insurance
  • Valid picture ID
  • Valid drivers license
  • $100.00 cash administrative fee

Make sure to bring ALL of the above documents with you. Vehicles are not stored at the Police Department so items cannot be retrieved from within cars. Current insurance information can be faxed to 503.692.9898.

What are the noise guidelines?
Visit the Noise page or Animals.

What are the bike helmet laws?
ORS 814.485 requires a person under 16 years of age to wear protective headgear when riding as an operator or rider of a bicycle on a roadway or on premises open to the public. The helmet must be labeled certifying compliance with U.S. CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) standards.  Oregon law does not specify a minimum age for when bicycle helmets are required to be worn. Learn more about bicycle safety, walk and bike to school day, bike lanes and laws by visiting the State of Oregon Bicyclist Safety Program. Tualatin offers a free Bike Registration program to help return lost or stolen bikes to their owners.

What are the regulations for Car Safety Seats?
Buckle up your children safely. For guidelines, laws, best practices and upcoming car seat inspection events visit Oregon Impact. In Oregon, the relevant statute requires that infants must ride rear facing until they are one year old and twenty pounds. Before children can ride forward facing, they must meet both of these benchmarks. Once a child has reached a minimum of forty pounds they must be properly secured in a booster seat until they are eight years old or are taller than four feet nine inches. After a child is age eight or older, or they are at least four feet nine inches they must be secured properly with the vehicle safety belt system.

What happens to abandoned vehicles?
Vehicles may be towed 24 hours after notice being provided under ORS 819.110 and ORS 819.170.

  • It is unlawful to park a vehicle, object or matter upon a public street within the city for more than a continuous 72-hour period without first obtaining a permit from the City Manager, TMC 8-1.020. 
  • No person shall park a motor truck on a street between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. of the following day in front of or adjacent to a residence or apartment house, TMC 8-1.160.

If you suspect a vehicle has been abandoned, please call 503.629.0111 to make a report. For more information visit Parking.

Do I need an alarm permit?
Any location with an alarm system that is audible or summons police must obtain an Alarm Permit. Visit Alarm Permits and Alarm Permit Application to learn more or call 503.691.4821.

What is Curfew in Tualatin?
No minor shall be in or upon any street, highway, park, alley or other public place between the hours of 12 midnight and 4 a.m. of the following morning. Any person picked up in violation will be released to their parent and referred to Juvenile. See ORS 419C.680 for exceptions.

Where can I get fingerprinted?
As of October 1, 2014 the Tualatin Police Department offers Fingerprint Services as well as other agencies in the area.

Who do I call about animals?
In the City of Tualatin, Washington County Animal Control responds to questions regarding animal issues. The number to reach them is 503.846.7041 or visit them on the web. For more information see Animals.

Does Tualatin offer a mediation service or have a civil mediator?
Tualatin does not offer this service but the City of Beaverton has a Dispute Resolution Center that can be used by residents in Tigard, Sherwood and Tualatin. The Oregon State Bar webpage also provides more information about the mediation of civil cases.

How do I get a restraining order?
You need to contact Washington County Circuit Court. They are located at 145 NE Second Avenue in Hillsboro, Oregon. For additional information you may contact them by telephone at 503.846.8767. Learn more about restraining orders.

How do I get a Concealed Handgun Permit?
You will need to contact the Washington County Sheriff's Office or the county in which you reside.

How can I find out about sex offenders in my area?
The Oregon State Police maintains a registry of sex offenders. ORS 181.592 authorizes the Oregon State Police to make information about registered sex offenders available to the public. Information is available online but only provided for sex offenders who have been designated as Predatory, as provided in ORS 181.585, who have also been determined to present the highest risk of re-offending and to require the widest range of notification; or found to be a sexually violent dangerous offender under ORS 144.635.  Visit the Oregon Sex Offender Inquiry Web Site.

To obtain list of both supervised and non-supervised sex offenders you can contact the Oregon Sex Offender Registration Unit at 503.378.3725 Ext. 44429. Leave a voicemail message with your name, mailing address and the city or zip code area you would like mailed to you. Lists are also available by email request. Please send your request to sexoffender.questions@state.or.us and include the same information listed above. For more information about registration and laws visit the Oregon State Police Sex Offender Registry.

How do I evict a roommate or tenant? How do I learn more about the eviction process or getting repairs made?
There are certain steps that must be completed for a lawful eviction. It is always recommended to hire an attorney for legal concerns. 
View the Landlord Tenant Law Resources List.